This vegan black beans and rice is a super quick and easy (and CHEAP!) recipe that comes together in only 25 minutes! It’s kid friendly without anything spicy added (baby Zoey LOVES it), and it can be served as a side or as a complete meal.
The best part about this recipe is that you probably already have most of the ingredients right this very moment in your kitchen. If you’re like me, you always have fresh cilantro and limes lurking about in your fridge. If you keep canned black beans and white rice in your pantry, you’re pretty much set!
And yes, I did say white rice, not brown. Usually “real food” and health bloggers will use brown rice in their recipes, but hear me out. First of all, it cooks in only 20 minutes, whereas brown takes more like 40-50. Furthermore, white rice can be easier to digest for many people than brown, some people report feeling better after eating it than brown.
The rice in this is nothing more than a simplified version of my cilantro lime brown rice (but with white rice) recipe. Use whichever you prefer.
The first time I made these beans was very much by accident. I had a batch of frozen Spinach and Chicken Enchiladas Verdes (one of my favorite recipes of all time!) in the freezer, but with only four enchiladas in the batch, I wanted something on the side. Plus, Zoey was starting to eat all kinds of food, so I thought it would be great to get her to try some beans and rice.
One can of black beans and some simple seasonings later, I was sold. I wasn’t even planning on blogging about this, but this recipe is SO simple, easy, and delicious, I made it again the following week and actually wrote down what I did this time!
OK and when I said baby Zoey loves this, I was really being pretty understated. The truth is, she literally won’t stop eating it, opens her mouth as wide as I’ve ever seen it and leans toward us as a bite is coming toward her, and shrieks like a banshee if she isn’t actively nomming on it. She’s a girl after my own heart for sure!
The recipe below states that it serves 4- this is as a full meal. If you are serving it as a side, you can likely stretch it to 8 or 10 servings.
Also, you can easily use these rice and beans in burritos, and make them ahead of time to take for lunch all week.
Here’s the printable for Quick and Easy Vegan Black Beans and Rice!
|Quick and Easy Vegan Black Beans and Rice|| |
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 28-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- plenty of kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- To make the rice, bring water to a boil, add rice and salt, stir, and simmer until cooked (about 15-20 minutes). When done, stir in the cilantro and lime juice and add more salt if necessary.
- Meanwhile, to make the beans, sauté the onion in oil over medium-high heat in a medium sized pot until softened and beginning to brown (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add beans, cumin, salt, and water. Stir, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash the beans a few times, thickening the mixture, but leaving most of the beans intact.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro and season with more salt if necessary.
- Serve the beans on top of the rice as a side or meal.