Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli, and Quinoa with Cheese
This Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli, and Quinoa has cheddar cheese melted into every bite. It’s gluten-free, family-friendly comfort food made with whole grains, lean chicken breast meat, and packed with good-for-you broccoli.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1.5-2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into approximately 1/2″ pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups small broccoli florets (frozen or fresh, from about 1 medium head)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Turn your pressure cooker to the “sauté” function. Melt the butter and sauté the onions, celery, and carrots for 3 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- Add the rinsed quinoa, stir to coat.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the chicken pieces and stir to mix together well. Turn the “sauté” function off. Cover the instant pot and set manual pressure to “high” for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and wait for the float valve to depress.
- Stir in the broccoli and cheese. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes, or until broccoli is crisp-tender and cheese has completely melted.
- To make this on your stovetop, sauté the onions, celery, and carrots in butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet for three minutes. Add the chicken with salt and pepper; sauté for three minutes more. Add the quinoa and chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is almost completely cooked. Stir in the broccoli and cheese, cover, and cook for 5 more minutes, until broccoli is tender. Serve.
- This recipe can easily be made dairy free by omitting the cheese and using olive oil instead of butter.
- I do my best to provide accurate nutrition information for my recipes, but I am not a nutritionist. The provided nutrition information is my best estimate. It does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
- This recipe first appeared on bowlofdelicious.com in February 2018. I’ve updated it with new photographs and tweaked the recipe in response to some user comments and questions.
- Calories: 536
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 557 mg
- Fat: 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.8 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 49.6 g
- Cholesterol: 146 mg
Keywords: chicken, quinoa, Instant Pot, pressure cooker, broccoli, gluten free