This Lasagna Soup has all the comforting taste of lasagna with half the amount of work! It’s ready in 30 minutes and topped with a cheesy mix of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage (casings removed, if you can’t find it without casings)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28-oz. can good quality crushed tomatoes (such as San Marzano)
- 8 oz. lasagna noodles, broken up into 1-2″ pieces (or other pasta)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Sauté the onions until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage, garlic, and oregano, breaking the meat up into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until fully browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and add the lasagna noodles, along with a little bit of salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until noodles are fully cooked (about 10-12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, mix together the mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan cheese in a medium bowl.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the fresh basil. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each with 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture. Top with extra basil, parmesan cheese, and black pepper, if desired.
- To make this vegetarian, substitute mushrooms or a meat substitute (such as Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef) for the sausage and use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
- If you don’t feel like breaking up lasagna noodles for this recipe, just use rotini instead!
- I do my best to provide accurate nutrition information for my recipes, but I am not a nutritionist. The provided nutrition information is my best estimate. It does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups soup with 1/4 cup cheese mixture
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 1120 mg
- Fat: 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 25.9 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
Keywords: lasagna, soup, pasta, Italian