Shrimp and Zucchini Fritters with Yogurt Sauce
This healthy Shrimp and Zucchini Fritters with Yogurt Sauce recipe is a delicious way to eat your veggies! The yogurt sauce is garlicky with lemon, and the zucchini and shrimp stand out in the simple fritters and are a match made in heaven.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4
For the Fritters:
- 3 small-medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined and roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (preferably whole wheat) Panko breadcrumbs (plus more if needed)
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Mix together all ingredients for yogurt sauce. Set aside.
- Using a clean kitchen towel, squeeze out as much liquid from the grated zucchini as possible (do not use a paper towel for this as it will likely fall apart).
- Combine zucchini, shrimp, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and parsley in a large bowl. Mixture should hold together well- if it seems too wet, add some more breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Using a large scoop or a 1/2 cup measure, scoop mixture into hot oil. Flatten tops slightly with a spatula.
- Cook for 3 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Continue until all of zucchini mixture is used up, adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve fritters with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges, if desired. Great on their own or in a pita pocket sandwich.
For a dairy-free recipe, use mayonnaise instead of yogurt in the sauce.