Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
These Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes are rich and creamy and smothered in Gruyere and Parmesan cheese. It's the perfect thing to make for Thanksgiving dinner because it frees up space in your oven and on your stove top!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 hrs
Resting time15 mins
Total Time5 hrs 25 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 1/2 lbs. unpeeled red potatoes washed well and sliced into 1/8 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter melted and divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour (1/4 cup), chicken broth (1 cup), and milk (1 cup) until smooth.
In another small bowl, mix together the grated Gruyere cheese (4 oz.), grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz.), diced onion, and thyme leaves (1 tablespoon).
Grease the bottom and sides of your slow cooker with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter (I used a paper towel to spread it around).
Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Top the potatoes with 1/3 of the cheese and onion mixture.
Top with 1/3 of the chicken broth, flour, and milk mixture (about 2/3 cup).
Season with a liberal amount of kosher salt and black pepper.
Repeat two more times.
Drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter on top.
Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. Uncover and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
Serve immediately or keep warm in your slow cooker until you're ready to serve.
- I used a mandoline slicer to slice the potatoes- it is faster and ensures they are evenly sliced.
- If fresh thyme isn't available, 1 teaspoon of dried may be used as a substitution.
- For a vegetarian version, make sure to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- For a gluten free / grain free version, omit the flour (the sauce will be a bit thinner but still delicious!).
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 333mg | Potassium: 752mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 7.6% | Vitamin C: 20.2% | Calcium: 28.4% | Iron: 8.5%