Curried Cauliflower Soup
This smooth, velvety Curried Cauliflower Soup recipe is healthy, vegan, low carb, low fat, and low calorie density, and also deliciously filling and hearty!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder see notes
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets (about 24 oz.)
- 2 medium zucchini grated
- lime wedges, fresh cilantro, extra cauliflower and zucchini, plain yogurt, sunflower seeds, etc. for garnish, optional
In a large pot, sauté the sliced onion in the olive oil (1 tablespoon) and the curry powder (1 tablespoon) over medium heat until onions are softened and curry power is fragrant.
Add the vegetable broth (4 cups), the cauliflower florets, and the kosher salt (1 teaspoon). Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for about 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to desired consistency (or a standing blender in batches). Stir in the grated zucchini and simmer for 3-5 more minutes, until zucchini is softened a bit.
Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve with extra veggies, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a garnish of fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Boost the flavor: this recipe is simple and minimalist, but delicious. But for an extra boost of flavor, try adding some minced garlic and fresh ginger with the onions. You can also add a can of coconut milk in place of 1 cup of the broth for a richer, creamier consistency.
- For an extra-smooth consistency, omit the grated zucchini.
- Curry powders vary greatly in type and spice level, so you may need to use more or less than 1 tablespoon. If you aren't familiar with the curry powder you are using, start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed after pureeing the soup.
- Store in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Recipe adapted from "Curried Cauliflower Soup" on Noom's recipe database.
Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1574mg | Potassium: 749mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 711IU | Vitamin C: 89mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg