Honey Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
A whole wheat pizza dough recipe that has a hint of salty-sweet and isn't dry or crumbly. Use for pizza, calzones, or flatbreads.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey 1/2 tbsp. sugar can also be used
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for bowl
- cornmeal and extra flour for rolling out
Add yeast to the warm water and honey. Mix together and let sit until foamy and about doubled in size (about 10 minutes).
Meanwhile, mix together the flours and salt.
Mix yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon olive oil in to flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Turn onto a well-floured surface and knead with your hands until dough is stretchy and elastic, adding flour as needed.
Form a ball with the dough and turn to coat in an olive-oil covered bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for one hour in a warm, draft free area.
Form one or two balls with the dough, depending on if you want thick or thin crust pizza. At this point, you can refrigerate or freeze until you want to make pizza.
When you are ready to use, allow it to come to room temperature for one hour.
Roll out pizza dough on a surface sprinkled with flour and cornmeal.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg