Irish Soda Bread Scones (with raisins, orange, and caraway)
Irish soda bread scones made with whole wheat flour, with raisins, orange zest, and caraway seeds.
Servings: 12 scones
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons softened butter plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk OR mix even parts plain yogurt and whole milk as a substitute
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- zest of one orange plus 2 tablespoons juice
Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl (flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt).
Cut butter up into small pieces and add to bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour mixture, until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Add buttermilk, egg, raisins, caraway seeds, and orange zest to bowl.
Mix together until the dough just comes together. It may be crumbly and in multiple pieces- this is OK.
Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead together until dough comes together in one consistent clump. It should be lumpy, not smooth (if kneaded for too long, bread will be tough).
Divide dough into 8 pieces for large scones, or for small scones, into pieces that roll into a 2-inch ball.
Roll each scone into a ball and place on parchment covered baking sheet
. Cut a cross into the top of each one and brush with melted butter and orange juice mixed together.
Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- These will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Microwave for about 20 seconds to thaw when you would like to have one!
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 251mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg