New England Baked Haddock
New England baked haddock recipe is one of the most delicious fish dishes you will ever have, yet it is so simple! With only three ingredients and 5 minutes of hands-on time, you will have an elegant, crowd-pleasing meal.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1-1.5 lbs. haddock patted dry (or other mild-tasting white fish, such as flounder, pollock, tilapia, or cod)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs see note
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted (see notes)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- lemon wedges and fresh parsley for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put a spoonful of the melted butter in a baking sheet or dish and spread to coat the bottom.
Combine the bread crumbs (1 cup) with the rest of the 6 tablespoons of melted butter.
Salt and pepper both sides of the fish liberally (I used about 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper), and lay in the buttered baking dish.
Spread bread crumbs - all of them - evenly over the fish
Bake for 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked thoroughly (and flakes easily).
Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a garnish of fresh parsley, if desired.
- Looking for more flavor? This recipe is basic and simple, which I LOVE. But if you're looking for bolder flavor, try adding spices or herbs to the breadcrumb mixture, such as fresh parsley, dill, chives, garlic (powder or fresh), onion powder, and/or lemon zest. Grated parmesan cheese would also be delicious added in!
- If you use unsalted butter, I recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon salt to the breadcrumb mixture, in addition to seasoning the fish.
- If your fish is particularly thick, you may need more time to cook it. The cooking time indicated is for fish about 3/4"-1" thick. Keep in mind, oven temperatures vary as well.
- How to use Ritz crackers: New England Baked Haddock is traditionally made with crushed Ritz crackers. You can use them if you prefer- just put them in a zip-top bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Then, use in place of the breadcrumbs in the recipe and use only 3 tablespoons of melted butter instead of 6.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 589mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 1.5mg