Spicy Quinoa and Black Beans
This easy, one-pot, vegan-friendly quinoa and black beans recipe is sure to satisfy anyone who loves bold flavor! Nutrient-rich grains, vegetables, and beans make for a hearty meal topped with sour cream and avocado, or side to your favorite Mexican dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups chicken stock/broth or vegetable stock, or water for a vegetarian/vegan option
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups cooked black beans drained and rinsed (or two 15-oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, hot sauce, limes, etc. optional (for serving)
In a large pot, sauté the onion and bell pepper in olive oil (1 tablespoon) over medium-high heat until browned (approximately 5 minutes).
Add garlic; saute for one minute.
Add quinoa (3/4 cup), cumin (1 teaspoon), cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon), and salt and pepper to taste; stir to coat.
Add vegetable or chicken broth (1.5 cups), stir, bring to a boil, and cover.
Turn heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
Add frozen corn (1 cup), black beans (3 cups), and cilantro (1/2 cup); continue cooking on low heat until beans and corn are heated through (approximately 5 minutes).
Serve on it's own, or top with optional fixings in a bowl or in a wrap as a burrito.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 951mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1118IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 5mg