Strawberry Ginger Hand Pies
Not only are these mini hand pies adorable for Valentine's day, but they use very little refined sugar and are the perfect balance of tart and sweet!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 pies
- 2 prepared pie doughs storebought or homemade
- 1.5 cups chopped strawberries about 8 oz.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced (about a 1-inch piece)
- 1 egg beaten, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- turbinado sugar for top, optional
Mix together the strawberries (1.5 cups), sugar (2 tablespoons), corn starch (1 tablespoon), and ginger (1 tablespoon). Set aside.
Roll out the pie crusts and, using a 3" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 8 hearts (more if you're able to).
In the center of one cut-out, place about 2 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture. Brush the edges with the egg wash, then put another cut out on top. Use a fork to seal the edges, and pierce the top in a criss-cross with a sharp paring knife.
Repeat for all the cutouts; place on a parchment
covered baking sheet
Brush the tops of each pie with the egg wash, and sprinkle turbinado sugar on each.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- These will stay fresh in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature.
- Freeze any extras and microwave to reheat individually.
- I used this traditional pie crust recipe.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg