Butternut Squash and Thyme Soup
This healthy and delicious butternut squash and thyme soup could not be easier to make! It's like fall in a bowl.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves plus more for serving (rosemary can also be used)
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth or vegetable broth
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt, sour cream, or cashew cream for serving, optional
In a large pot, sauté the onion and fresh thyme (1 tablespoon) in olive oil (1 tablespoon) until browned and softened.
Add the squash, broth (1 cup), and salt and pepper to taste. Stir, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20-30 minutes (or until squash is tender).
Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
Serve garnished with extra thyme and Greek yogurt, sour cream, or cashew cream (if desired)
- To make this in your slow cooker, add all ingredients besides thyme and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Add the thyme and mash with a potato masher, then serve.
- Freeze the leftovers in an airtight container or jar for up to 6 months.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 20014IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 2mg