Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd's Pie
This sweet potato and turkey shepherd's pie is the ultimate comfort food: simpler and easier to make than a traditional one, and healthy, too!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- 2 cups chopped carrots, corn, and peas mixture (frozen or fresh)
Steam sweet potatoes until tender.
Meanwhile, sauté the onions and turkey in a skillet in 1 tablespoon of the butter until browned and cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the fresh thyme.
Transfer cooked turkey and onions to a casserole dish. Add to the skillet the carrots, peas, and corn and sauté until slightly browned and starting to cook through (about 3 minutes). Transfer vegetables to casserole dish and spread out on top of turkey/onion mixture.
When sweet potatoes are done steaming, remove from steamer and mash in a medium bowl with a potato masher with 2 tablespoons butter, salt, pepper, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of thyme. Spread mashed sweet potatoes on top of vegetables in casserole dish.
Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter (add more if you want to!).
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until beginning to brown on top and heated completely through.
- To peel or not peel the sweet potatoes: I usually leave my potatoes unpeeled- the peels are full of fiber and nutrients! Just be sure to wash the peels thoroughly before using.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 808mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 14387IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg