Cranberry Ginger Pecan Muffins
These cranberry muffins with ginger and pecans are healthy, hearty, and delicious! Perfect for Christmas morning, using the leftover fresh cranberries from Thanksgiving you have stored in your freezer.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger from about a 1" piece, grated (or 1 teaspoons dried)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup whole milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or a mixture of whole wheat and all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- white or turbinado sugar for sprinkling tops (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 and line a muffin pan with liners.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs (2), brown sugar (1/2 cup), grated ginger (1 tablespoon), olive oil (1/3 cup), buttermilk (1 cup), baking powder (1 teaspoon), baking soda (1 teaspoon), and salt (1/4 teaspoon).
Stir in the oats (1 cup) and whole wheat flour (1.5 cups) until just combined.
Fold in the pecans (1 cup) and cranberries (1 cup).
Divide batter into muffin pan, filling almost all the way. Sprinkle tops with sugar, if desired.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Although I haven't personally tried it with this recipe, I think honey would be a great substitute for the brown sugar. I've done it in plenty of other muffin recipes and they've come out great.
- You can freeze the leftovers- just defrost in the microwave for about 45 seconds when you need a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 83IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg