Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Black Bean Stew
This chicken, sweet potato, and black bean stew is healthy, slightly smoky, and slightly sweet. It's packed with nutrients, gluten free, grain free, and absolutely delicious! Plus, you can make it in about 30 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
Saute the onion in olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pot over medium high heat until soft (2-3 minutes)
Add the chicken broth (4 cups), tomatoes (15 oz.), black beans (15 oz.), smoked paprika (1 teaspoon), salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Turn the heat to low and add the sweet potatoes. Simmer until sweet potatoes are cooked through, approximately 15 minutes (depending on how small you cut them).
Use a potato masher
(or immersion blender
) to mash the soup a few times to thicken it up a bit.
Turn the heat off and add the chicken (2 cups) and parsley (2 tablespoons). Stir and allow to sit for a minute or so to make sure the chicken gets warmed through.
Serve hot garnished with extra fresh parsley.
- To make this Paleo/whole30 compliant, omit the beans.
- To make this vegetarian/vegan, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- For a little spiciness, add a little bit of cayenne pepper with the smoked paprika.
- Freeze the leftovers in an airtight container or bag for up to 6 months.
- If you don't already have cooked chicken, poach raw chicken in boiling water while you are preparing steps 1-4 for about 20 minutes. Shred with two forks and add to stew during step 5.
- To make this meal go even further, serve it over a grain like brown rice or quinoa.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 1505mg | Potassium: 848mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5479IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 4mg