Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
This gluten-free and grain-free one-pot chicken stew recipe with sweet potatoes and black beans comes together in 30 minutes and is PACKED with nutrients.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
Saute the onion in olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pot over medium high heat until soft (2-3 minutes)
Add the chicken broth (4 cups), canned tomatoes (15 oz.), drained/rinsed black beans (15 oz.), smoked paprika (1 teaspoon), salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Turn the heat to low and add the sweet potatoes. Simmer until sweet potatoes are cooked through, approximately 15 minutes (depending on how small you cut them).
Use a potato masher (or a few pulses with an immersion blender) to mash the soup a few times to thicken it up a bit. Don't completely puree it- you want some intact beans and sweet potatoes.
Turn the heat off and add the chicken (2 cups) and parsley (2 tablespoons). Stir and allow to sit for a minute or so to make sure the chicken gets warmed through.
Serve hot garnished with extra fresh parsley.
- To make this Paleo/whole30 compliant, omit the beans.
- To make this vegetarian/vegan, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- For a little spiciness, add a little bit of cayenne pepper with the smoked paprika.
- Freeze in an airtight container or bag for up to 6 months.
- If you don't already have cooked chicken, poach raw chicken with the sweet potatoes in the soup for about 20 minutes, until completely cooked. Remove and shred with two forks and add back to the stew.
- Money saving tip: To make this meal go even further, serve it over a grain like brown rice or quinoa.
- Slow cooker instructions: add everything except the black beans, chicken, and parsley, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Then mash, and add the drained and rinsed beans and chicken and parsley, and let it heat up for a few minutes until all ingredients are warmed through.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 1015mg | Potassium: 638mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6727IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg