Easy Vietnamese Pork Bún Bowls
This recipe for Vietnamese Pork Bún Bowls uses a few shortcuts to make it quick and easy without sacrificing flavor. It's fresh, healthy, gluten free, and adaptable to be vegan/vegetarian!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Marinating time1 d
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
For the pork:
- 1 lb. pork shoulder thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other neutral tasting oil
- juice of one lime
- black pepper to taste
For the dipping sauce (Nước Chấm):
For the Bún Bowls:
- 4 cups chopped fresh lettuce
- 8 oz. rice vermicelli noodles cooked and cooled (a standard package size)
- 1 cucumber halved or quartered and sliced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced or cut julienne
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
Add the pork and all the marinade ingredients to a large freezer bag or container. Allow to marinate for at least 24 hours or up to three days (you can also freeze it for a longer time).
Cook the pork on high heat in a heavy skillet, such as cast iron, shaking off any excess marinade as you remove it from the bag. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until seared and fully cooked through.
Meanwhile, divide the bowl ingredients into four bowls, layering the lettuce, noodles, carrots, cucumbers, and herbs.
Mix together ingredients for dipping sauce/dressing.
Top each bowl with equal amounts of pork and garnish with chopped peanuts. Pour dipping sauce on top of each bowl just before eating.
- For a vegetarian/vegan version, use tofu instead of pork and use a vegetarian friendly substitute for the fish sauce, such as this one.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 535kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 1534mg | Potassium: 808mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 5683IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3mg