Smoky Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Blue Cheese
This Smoky Sweet Potato Soup is topped with crunchy bacon and tangy blue cheese crumbles- an easy and DELICIOUS recipe! Vegetarian/vegan/Paleo optional.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth plus more if needed
- 4 carrots peeled and cut roughly into 1-inch pieces (approximately 2-3 cups)
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut roughly into 1-inch cubes (approximately 4-5 cups)
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles for serving
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish if desired
Cook the 4 strips bacon until crispy in a large pot over medium heat. Remove bacon and set aside on a paper towel to drain.
Sauté the onion in the bacon grease until softened and starting to brown (2-3 minutes)
Add the 2 minced cloves garlic, smoked paprika (1 teaspoon), chili powder (1 teaspoon), cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon), kosher salt (1 teaspoon), and black pepper (1/4 teaspoon). Stir to coat for one minute, or until garlic becomes fragrant.
Add 4 cups chicken broth, the carrots, and the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
Meanwhile, chop the bacon into small pieces.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or a standing blender in batches). If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth (or water, in a pinch) 1/2 cup at a time, pureeing each time for a creamier texture.
Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve with chopped bacon pieces and blue cheese crumbles on top, garnished with parsley if desired.
- Make it vegetarian: substitute butter or olive oil for the bacon/bacon grease and vegetable broth for the chicken broth. For a vegan version, use olive oil, vegetable stock, and omit the cheese.
- For a paleo/whole30 version, omit the cheese and use compliant (sugar free) bacon.
- Freezer directions: This soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 1404mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 19531IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 1mg