Shrimp and Zucchini Fritters with Yogurt Sauce
This healthy Shrimp and Zucchini Fritters with Yogurt Sauce recipe is a delicious way to eat your veggies! The yogurt sauce is garlicky with lemon, and the zucchini and shrimp stand out in the simple fritters and are a match made in heaven.
Servings: 4 servings
For the Fritters:
- 3 medium zucchini grated
- 1/2 lb. shrimp peeled and deveined and roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (plus more if needed)
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more if needed
- lemon wedges for serving (optional)
Spread grated zucchini out on a clean kitchen towel (preferably NOT a paper towel, as they are too fragile) with a pinch of salt sprinkled on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes for liquid to be released.
Using the kitchen towel, squeeze out as much liquid from the grated zucchini as possible.
While you are waiting for the zucchini to sit, mix together all ingredients for yogurt sauce. Set aside.
Combine squeezed out zucchini, chopped shrimp (1/2 lb.), 2 eggs, panko breadcrumbs (1 cup), kosher salt and black pepper to taste, lemon zest (from 1 lemon), and minced fresh parsley (2 tablespoons) in a large bowl. Mixture should hold together well- if it seems too wet, add some more breadcrumbs.
Heat the olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Using a large scoop or a 1/2 cup measure, scoop mixture into hot oil. Flatten tops slightly with a spatula.
Cook for 3 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Continue until all of zucchini mixture is used up, adding more oil if necessary.
Serve fritters with the yogurt sauce and lemon wedges, if desired. Great on their own or in a pita pocket sandwich.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 227mg | Sodium: 754mg | Potassium: 553mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 581IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 3mg