The Ultimate Vegetarian Pita Sandwich
These are the ULTIMATE vegetarian pita sandwiches (vegan optional), piled high with hummus, tabbouleh, dill yogurt sauce, pickled veggies, greens, and tomatoes. Make in advance for lunch all week!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 sandwiches
For the Pickled Carrots:
- 2 carrots sliced into thin strips using a vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or vegan alternative yogurt, if desired
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- kosher salt to taste
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 pita flatbreads
- Dill Yogurt Sauce (ingredients above)
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 cup prepared tabbouleh (aka tabouli)
- 1 cup baby greens
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- pickled carrots (ingredients above)
In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for pickled carrots. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for dill yogurt sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Wrap a damp paper towel around the pita bread and microwave until just warmed (about 10 seconds per pita). This will make it more malleable and less likely to break.
To assemble the sandwiches, layer about 2-3 tablespoons of the hummus, yogurt sauce, and tabbouleh, with some greens, tomato, and carrots, in that order, on each pita. Carefully wrap the pita around the ingredients. If it seems too messy or like it's going to break, wrap it in foil or parchment to keep it together.
- Meal prep: This recipe is perfect for weekly meal prep- make all the ingredients beforehand for sandwiches all week! I recommend assembling the sandwiches the day of so the greens stay fresh, but if you're in a hurry, you can also assemble them a couple days in advance and they will be just fine.
The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator
or by adding the recipe to Yummly
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 834mg | Potassium: 462mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5454IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 3mg