Smoky Chicken and Avocado Tacos
These smoky chicken and avocado tacos come together in only 20 minutes! They'll be your new favorite easy weeknight recipe for taco night and the whole family will love them.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
marinating time30 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. chicken thighs cut into roughly 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- juice of 1 lime divided (about 2 tablespoons)
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 small avocados diced
- 8 flour tortillas (see notes)
- chopped fresh onion and cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, etc. for serving (optional)
Mix the chicken thighs, smoked paprika (1 tablespoon), cumin (1 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon), 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/2 of the lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt in a bowl or zip-top bag. Allow to marinate for at least thirty minutes, preferably overnight.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, trying not to move it as much as possible, until fully cooked and seared/browned on the outside.
Meanwhile, mix together the diced avocado, remaining 1/2 of the lime juice, and salt to taste in a small bowl. Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and place in a tortilla warmer or plate, microwave for 15-20 seconds to warm.
When chicken is cooked, transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Shred with two forks.
Top each tortilla with some chicken and avocado mixture, as well as any optional toppings you want.
- A note on the tortillas: For a gluten free version of this recipe, be sure to use corn tortillas. These are smaller, so you'll be able to stretch it to about 12 total tacos, whereas if you use flour it will be more like 8. Use lettuce wraps, serve over cauliflower rice, or toss in a salad for a low-carb, paleo version.
- Time saving tip: if you don't have time to marinate the chicken or forgot to, no worries! Just skip it.
The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator
or by adding the recipe to Yummly
Calories: 660kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 861mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1097IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg