Quick and Easy Classic Hummus
This Quick and Easy Classic Hummus recipe is a fast way to get super smooth, creamy hummus without using dry beans or removing the skins! It's high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats, and it makes a wonderful snack on pita bread or spread on sandwiches.
Prep Time10 mins
Chilling time30 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas drained and rinsed (1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice from about 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup tahini (see notes)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- extra olive oil, sesame seeds, whole chickpeas, chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas, smashed garlic clove, cumin (1/2 teaspoon), and kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon) to a food processor. Press on until everything is chopped very finely and blended together (about 1-2 minutes).
Slowly drizzle in the lemon juice (1/4 cup), then water (2 tablespoons), while food processor is running.
Scrape down the sides, add the tahini (1/4 cup), and process again.
Scrape down the sides, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil (1/4 cup) while food processor is on.
Chill for at least 30 minutes, which will help infuse the flavors and thicken the hummus.
Serve drizzled with more extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkled with whole chickpeas, sesame seeds, and chopped parsley, if desired.
- If you want to use whole chickpeas as a garnish, be sure to reserve some from the can before adding them to the food processor.
- Tahini substitution: Don't have tahini, or can't find it at your store? Substitute with almond butter or peanut butter.
- Storage: The prepared hummus can be stored in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
- If you don't have a food processor, a blender will work as well.
The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator
or by adding the recipe to Yummly
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 119mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg