Watermelon Salad with Queso Fresco, Lime, and Cilantro
This refreshing watermelon salad with queso fresco, lime, and cilantro is the perfect balance of sweet and salty! It's easy to make this vegetarian side dish in advance and perfect for your summer festivities.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 small seedless watermelon rind removed, cut into 1" cubes (about 4-5 cups)
- juice and zest from one lime divided
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped and divided
- 4 oz. queso fresco crumbled and divided
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Mix the watermelon with the lime juice, half the zest, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, and half the queso fresco. Transfer onto platter.
Add the rest of the lime zest, cilantro, and queso fresco on top of the salad. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Top with salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
- The queso freso is salty, so go easy on adding more salt to taste (you can always add more!).
- How to crumble queso fresco: Use a fork to crumble the queso fresco to get the smallest crumbles that coat every bite of the watermelon salad.
- Variation: add a little bit of chili powder, cayenne pepper, or a chopped jalapeño to the mix for a spicy kick.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 207mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1161IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 1mg