Greek Lentil Soup (Fakes Soupa)
This Greek Lentil Soup Recipe (Fakes Soupa) is a hearty, healthy vegan soup packed with flavor from fresh herbs, tomatoes, and a generous amount of extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar added at the end. Slow cooker and Instant Pot optional!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Soaking time4 hrs
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb dry lentils green or brown varieties
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 3 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 cups vegetable stock water, chicken stock, or bone broth can be used also
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes preferably fire-roasted
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Soak lentils in a large bowl or container covered with lots of water for 2-4 hours (or overnight). Drain and rinse well.
Sauté the onions and celery in a large pot over medium-high heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until softened and beginning to brown (about 3 minutes).
Add the garlic, sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Pour in the red wine and stir, cooking until it has reduced by about half (about 2 minutes).
Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, herbs, salt, pepper, and soaked lentils.
Stir, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Turn off heat and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil and the red wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Freezer directions: this soup can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months and leftovers will last about a week in the fridge.
- Wine substitution: You can omit the wine if you want- just skip that step and move right to adding the broth, tomatoes, and other ingredients.
- Sometimes I like adding barley with a little more liquid to make it extra hearty.
- To make this in your slow cooker, stir all ingredients besides the olive oil and red wine vinegar together in the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. When it's done, stir in the olive oil and vinegar and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To make this in your instant pot, sauté the vegetables, add the remaining ingredients, and cook for 10 minutes on manual high. Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before quick releasing. Stir in olive oil and vinegar.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1223mg | Potassium: 819mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 673IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 6mg