Tuna Casserole (the no can, from scratch, real food version!)
This tuna casserole is the ultimate creamy, warm comfort food. Made with 100% real, unprocessed ingredients. Make two and freeze one!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta I used rotini
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz. mushrooms diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 oz. canned tuna drained and flaked apart with a fork (2 small cans or 1 large)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a casserole dish with a little of the butter. Set aside.
Cook pasta in salted water according to directions.
Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or pot.
Add the onions and celery; sauté until tender.
Add the garlic; saute until fragrant.
Stir in the mushrooms, then allow to sit untouched until most of the liquid has evaporated (approximately 5 minutes).
Add the flour (1/4 cup), stir to coat, and gradually add the milk (1 cup) and broth (1 cup). Heat over medium-high heat until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the cooked pasta, peas (1 cup), and drained tuna to the mixture.
Place mixture into prepared casserole dish.
In a small bowl, melt remaining tablespoon butter. Mix with breadcrumbs (1/2 cup).
Sprinkle breadcrumbs on casserole. Top with shredded cheese (1 cup).
Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
- I make my own whole wheat bread crumbs by pulsing some toasted bread in a food processor until bread crumbs are formed. Make a bunch, then keep in your freezer until you need them!
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Calories: 669kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 871mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1147IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 369mg | Iron: 6mg