Well, it’s officially the last day of February vacation. Of course, I had to bake something to mark the occasion, especially since I rarely bake in non-vacation mode!
I’ve been experimenting more and more with baking using whole grains. This easy and delicious quick bread is made with a mixture of spelt flour and white whole wheat flour. I sometimes have a tendency to be skeptical about using whole grains in sweet, baked goods, but not for this! It’s so moist, fluffy, and full of flavor- white flour is definitely not missed here!
Spelt is a whole grain that is used for flour as an alternative to wheat. It is lighter and less, well, “whole wheaty” than wheat, which makes it great for baking, pancakes, cookies, etc. White whole wheat flour is still whole wheat (even though it seems contradictory to call it white). White wheat is simply a different color than traditional “red” wheat, and has a milder texture and flavor, which also makes it a great substitute for all-purpose flour when you don’t want a harsh taste.
I could go on and on about whole grains. I love this stuff. I’m such a nerd for whole foods.
But I won’t do that to you. Yet.
This bread is really easy to make. I use a trick to make fewer dishes. Usually, baking requires two bowls: one for wet ingredients, one for dry. I only use one bowl by mixing all my wet ingredients first, adding all the dry ingredients except the flour, and adding the flour last. This ensures that the dry ingredients are evenly distributed before thickening it too much with flour.
I used sour cream for this- you can use plain yogurt as a substitute, if you want!
This was delicious fresh out of the oven with some butter. And so filling! Whole grains certainly leave you more satisfied than refined grains. Having this for toast for breakfast this week will definitely make going back to work way better!Print
Whole grain lemon poppy seed bread
A satisfying, moist, fluffy, flavorful quick bread made with a mixture of spelt and white whole wheat flour.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 1
- 1 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice and zest of two large lemons
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Melt butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and sugar; whisk together.
- Add lemon juice and zest, sour cream, and vanilla extract; whisk together.
- Add nutmeg, salt, poppy seeds, baking powder, and baking soda; whisk together to combine well.
- Add flours; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a buttered loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before eating.
Plain yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.