Yep, that’s right, just like you find in your burrito at Chipotle. This rice for Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is super easy to make as a side dish or as an addition to make-ahead frozen burritos. Or piled up with with beans, vegetables, salsa, sour cream, and avocado. It’s very versatile, very tasty, very inexpensive, and super simple.
Whenever I make rice, I toast it slightly in butter before adding water. It adds a deeper depth of flavor to the rice. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium pot over medium heat, and add 1 cup of brown rice (I used basmati), the zest of one lime, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and toast, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
Add 2 cups of water (or chicken or vegetable stock, if you are feeling crazy).
Stir, bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat to low. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and the juice of the same lime you zested. Serve as a side or stuffed into your favorite burrito, such as baked chipotle chicken burritos.
|Cilantro Lime Brown Rice|| || |
- Melt butter over medium heat in medium-sized pot.
- Add rice and the zest of one lime; toast, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes.
- Add liquid, stir, bring to a boil, cover, and turn heat down to low.
- Simmer for approximately 25 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro.