Looking for a fun, flavorful meal that will make you completely forget about the barren, cold, winter wasteland that surrounds us? (well, at least those of us in the Boston area.) I have the perfect fix. Tacos! And not just any tacos. Blackened shrimp tacos with creamy dill sauce.
Picture this: Warm toasty corn tortilla. Spicy shrimp smothered in blackening spices. Cool and creamy dill, lime, and scallion sauce with Greek yogurt. And if you want (and I highly recommend you do this), a nice cold margarita to wash it all down. You can practically hear the wind rustling through the palm trees and the sound of the waves crashing in the ocean (no, that’s not a raging blizzard outside your window. IT’S WAVES and TREES and SUNSHINE.)
These tacos are, simply put, the bomb-dot-com. They are healthy (especially since the base of the sauce is Greek yogurt). They take only 20 minutes to make (!!). They are simple, light, satisfying, and extremely delicious. And you must make them ASAP.
Have you ever had anything blackened? Blackening is a Cajun cooking technique that is usually used with fish. The shrimp, in this case, is coated with a spice mixture and cooked in a very hot cast iron skillet (or other heavy skillet) in butter. The spices and the butter become charred and dark in color, but the flesh of the shrimp does not. Hence the name, “blackened.”
In summary, blackened fish/shrimp/etc. is DELICIOUS and you MUST try it.
If you want to save time on this, mix the blackening spices together in bulk ahead of time, or buy a pre-made blackening spice mixture.
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients here, since most of it you will likely already have in your pantry.
For more taco deliciousness, try these out:
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Slow Cooker Carnitas (pulled pork) Tacos
- Make Ahead Breakfast Tacos
Recipe below. Enjoy!Print
Blackened Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Dill Sauce
Healthy, fast, easy, light, and SO yummy. These blackened shrimp tacos will have you thinking you are on a sunny, warm beach in no time!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 8 tacos
For the Blackening Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Creamy Dill Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Tacos:
- Mix the ingredients for the blackening seasoning together and set aside (alternatively, you may use 3 tablespoons of a pre made blackening seasoning).
- Mix ingredients for creamy dill sauce in a bowl. Refrigerate.
- Pat the shrimp as dry as you can.
- Coat shrimp in olive oil.
- Press the shrimp into the seasoning mixture to cover all sides.
- Heat butter in a cast iron (or other heavy) skillet.
- Cook shrimp in butter on medium-high heat on both sides until cooked (approximately 3 minutes on each side).
- Meanwhile, toast corn tortillas in your oven or over your gas burners (be careful if you do this!)
- Serve tacos by layering 2-3 shrimp in each tortilla, topped with creamy dill sauce and other optional fixings.