Zach and I have gone vegetarian for Lent on Mondays and Fridays. And for a couple of people who CONSTANTLY eat turkey sandwiches for lunch (seriously, whenever we don’t have leftovers… it’s turkey sandwiches. Somehow, we never get tired of them!), this has made packing lunch for work a challenge, especially when we don’t have vegetarian leftovers.
So, I made egg salad. But not just ANY egg salad. This egg salad uses Greek yogurt instead of mayo (which gives it an awesome tang and a boost of healthiness), is flavored with fresh dill, and has thin slices of crunchy celery to balance out the softness of the eggs. It’s cool and refreshing and oh-so-delicious, and perfect for an easily packable vegetarian lunch.
To make this perfect egg salad, you will first need to make perfect hard boiled eggs. A while back, in my post about sriracha deviled eggs (YUM), and confessed that I did not know how to make hard boiled eggs well. Whenever I made them, they were frustratingly difficult to peel. Since then, I have discovered the perfect way to make the best, most easy to peel hard boiled eggs ever.
Here’s what to do.
- Boil some water (enough to cover the eggs).
- Add a little bit of olive oil to the water.
- Place the eggs carefully in the boiling water using tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Boil the eggs for exactly 18 minutes. Halfway through, stir the eggs around (this will help distribute the yolk so it doesn’t fall to one side of the egg, but stays more centered).
- Remove the eggs with tongs or a slotted spoon and place immediately in an ice bath.
- Allow to sit in the ice bath for at least 5 minutes to cool.
That’s it! Super easy, and works perfectly every time. These will be the easiest eggs to peel you have ever peeled. It is truly a miracle to witness.
When you make egg salad, I recommend using an egg slicer to speed things up. The great thing about this nifty device is that you can rotate the egg to cut it in two different directions, which is perfect for making egg salad.
Just slice a few eggs and mix with Greek yogurt, thinly sliced celery, a little red wine vinegar, fresh dill, and salt and pepper. You’re done! Easiest lunch ever.
Greek Yogurt Egg Salad with Dill
This healthy and fresh egg salad recipe is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo, flavored with dill, and so yummy. Only 5 ingredients and a perfect easy-to-pack lunch!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2
- 4 hard boiled eggs*, chopped
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve on toasted whole wheat bread or in a pita pocket.
*To make perfect hard boiled eggs: Boil water, and add a little bit of olive oil. Place eggs gently in boiling water and continue to boil for 18 minutes. Remove and plunge into ice bath and allow to sit for 5 minutes at least.