Hello! This is Past Elizabeth, visiting you from approximately 4 days ago. The ghost of Elizabeth past. OooooOOOoooooOOoo (that was a ghost sound, in case you were confused).
As you may or may not know (depending on if you follow me on facebook), Zach and I are currently frolicking in the sunshine and bluebonnets in Austin, Texas for a friend’s wedding and to meet our baby nephew! I am likely having tons of fun (especially being away from the cold and remaining snow in New England), and I didn’t want you guys to feel like you were missing out. Luckily, due to the amazingness of modern technology, I was able to set this to post in the FUTURE! It’s like time travel. But better.
And so, I’m bringing a bit of Texas to you… with this super easy and super delicious recipe for Chorizo and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros. Yum yum yum.
What do I love about Huevos Rancheros? EVERYTHING. Really, there is nothing not to like about this meal. It’s inexpensive, ready in 20 minutes, and good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Simply amazing.
Huevos Rancheros is a traditional Tex-Mex dish that (usually) consists of refried beans, fried eggs, salsa, and tortillas. Sometimes cheese. Sometimes meat. Sometimes veggies. Really, you can just throw whatever the heck you want in some beans, put an egg or two on top, and call it Huevos Rancheros! It’s versatile, quick and easy to make, and always, ALWAYS delicious.
For this recipe, you’ll start by making your own quick and easy refried black beans with chorizo. Just saute some cut up chorizo sausage in some butter with an onion (tip: try and find chorizo without any nitrites or nitrates. Those ingredients are super icky chemicals that you should try and avoid). Then, add some black beans, spices, and chicken broth (or veggie broth, or even water), heat, and mash with a potato masher. Add frozen corn and cilantro, and viola! You have quick and easy refried black beans with chorizo. (For an alternative recipe, check out my post for the Best Refried Beans Ever.)
Now, fry two eggs together in some butter, sunny side up. (Here’s a great how-to, if you don’t know how to make a sunny side up egg! You will definitely need a nonstick skillet to make them.) Top the beans with the eggs, some avocado and salsa, serve with tortilla chips. Done! You now have huevos rancheros.
See notes in recipe below for a lighter version and a vegetarian version. Enjoy, and see y’all when I get back from Texas!
|Chorizo and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros|| || |
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ lb. chorizo sausage, cut into small pieces
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth (or veggie broth or water)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 eggs, cooked sunny side up
- avocado, salsa, and tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- Saute the onion and chorizo in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, until the onion is browned.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, chili powder, and salt/pepper. Heat through, then mash to desired texture with a potato masher.
- Stir in corn and cilantro; continue heating for a few minutes until corn is warmed through.
- Serve with two sunny side eggs on top, and add avocado, salsa, and tortilla chips if desired.
Want a lighter version? Poach the eggs instead of frying them.