There comes a time every year in every teacher’s life when they ask themselves the fruitless question, “WHY!!! WHY in God’s name is it not summer yet?!” The life of a teacher in Massachusetts is extra special because our school year does not end at the end of May like the rest of the world, but instead extends deep into the end of June.
We have two and a half weeks left. Zach and I are in survival mode. And so we have decided that enough is enough, we are starting summer early!
And so our evenings for the next couple of weeks are now going to include as many relaxing summer activities as we can muster in our states of exhaustion, such as reading, playing video games (Zach), blogging (me), eating delicious things, and being outside as much as possible.
We will not be defeated!!! We will have fun and… eat enchiladas!!!
And so, Mexican Mondays were born! On Monday this week, we ate enchiladas and Zach made AMAZING margaritas (he is the cocktail master in the house; I am the head chef), and we enjoyed them on our balcony in the beautiful weather.
Ahhhh. The great outdoors (which will be extra great when we finally have a yard and a house!). Oscar really wanted in on this and sat in the window to keep us company the whole time :-)
After making chipotle enchilada sauce in bulk this weekend, I used it in an extremely simple recipe to make chicken enchiladas. This could not be easier. Are you ready?
All you need is some cooked shredded chicken, prepared any way you want (I used my recipe for Smoky Mexican Pulled Chicken), corn tortillas, enchilada sauce (I used chipotle enchilada sauce), and shredded monterey jack cheese.
Only four pre-made ingredients to one of the most delicious meals I’ve made in a while! The technique is very similar to making lasagna or stuffed shells- just layer some enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, roll some warmed tortillas with chicken, assemble seam-side down in baking dish, and add the rest of the sauce and the shredded cheese on top.
You’d also love these turkey enchiladas with black beans and corn. And these vegetarian enchiladas verdes. Yum.
Dinner in 20 minutes- ample time left to enjoy a preemptive summer vacation for one evening :-)
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb. cooked shredded chicken such as rotisserie
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 4 oz. monterey jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place 1/4 cup enchilada sauce at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Warm up each corn tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds or on an oven burner (warmed tortillas will roll easier without crumbling). Roll chicken up in each of them, and place seam-side down in baking dish.
- Cover with remaining enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Weekend prep: Cook enchilada sauce and shredded chicken beforehand. You can even assemble the enchiladas in a baking dish, cover, and cook when you are ready!
- Freezer directions: Assemble and freeze in an airtight container. When you want to cook, defrost in refrigerator and bake as normal.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Nutrition Information Disclaimer
The provided nutrition information is my best estimate and does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information. Feel free to calculate it yourself using one of these tools:
Leave a Reply