Alert! Alert! Fresh corn is beginning to appear in the grocery store!! This means: summer is practically upon us, cookouts are nigh, and most of all- YUM. Beginning with this lemon and garlic roasted zucchini and corn.
I got so excited to see it at the store that I bought 5 ears with absolutely no plans on how to use them. This recipe for Lemon and Garlic Roasted Zucchini and Corn is one of those completely invented on-the-fly recipes. Ohhh boy is it good. The corn is sweet, the slivered garlic gets toasty and super flavorful, the lemon zest is subtle and bright, and the zucchini absorbs all the amazing awesomeness of everything else. I believe this has become one of my new favorite veggie sides.
Before the recipe, I’d like to bring you an important message about corn.
It’s important to note that even though I’m calling this a veggie side, corn is definitely not a vegetable. It’s a grain. Although straight off the cob, it certainly tastes more like a veggie than a grain. But in its pure form, it’s a whole grain (so it’s much better for you than other refined grains). I try and eat minimal grains since I find my body responds very well to a mostly Paleo diet. And unless your corn is marked “organic,” it’s probably GMO corn.
In conclusion, try and buy organic corn if you can, and make sure you remember that it’s a grain and not a veggie!
Back to the recipe.
I’ve been kind of obsessed with roasting veggies lately. It is HANDS DOWN the most tasty way to prepare vegetables. It creates a much deeper flavor than steaming or boiling, as the sugars in the veggies begin caramelizing on the outside.
I love roasted veggies with nothing but olive oil, salt, and pepper. But this recipe adds lemon zest and slivered garlic to the mix and it’s awesome. The first time I tried this flavor combo, I used zucchini and cauliflower instead of corn (which was delicious, and I highly recommend). Really, you could do this with any veggie you want- broccoli, asparagus, green beans, potatoes… anything that would go well with lemony garlicky goodness.
A few quick tips:
- Make sure you use lemon zest and no lemon juice. It will give you awesome lemon flavor, but without any added liquid (which will make roasted veggies soggy).
- Use PLENTY of salt and pepper.
- If you don’t have fresh corn, fear not. You can use frozen as well!
- The recipe below is for a relatively large batch- I used two rimmed baking sheets so as not to overcrowd the pan (overcrowding will also make roasted veggies soggy). I had leftovers and threw them on some spinach with Caesar dressing for lunch the next day. You can cut the recipe in half if you want.
Lemon and Garlic Roasted Zucchini and Corn
- Parchment Paper
- Combine all ingredients (except green onions) in a bowl and stir until everything is coated.
- Spread out on two rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired.