This Mediterranean Seven Layer dip is so fresh, so simple, and so easy to assemble! With no cooking required and only seven ingredients (duh), it’s an easy way to make a quick appetizer to serve with whole wheat pita chips. It’s also delicious spread on toast or stuffed into a pita pocket for a light meal.
I made a super quick and easy classic hummus the other day, and used it as the base for the dip. You can use homemade or store-bought hummus. This recipe could not be simpler. Just spread the hummus on the bottom of a serving dish and top with olives, roasted red peppers, cucumbers, feta cheese, tomatoes, and red onion. That’s seven layers!
I also drizzled it with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil and garnished with some fresh dill because I’m an over-achiever and seven wasn’t enough for me :-)
I made my own whole wheat pita chips to serve this with, and they were SO easy to make. I cut some pita pockets into triangles, separated the layers, and mixed in a bowl to coat with olive oil and kosher salt. Then, I baked at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. It’s easy to find pita chips already made at your grocery store as an alternative.
LOOK at all those beautiful colors! The red peppers, the purple onions, the green cucumbers… this is definitely a show stopping appetizer. And the best part? You can make it a day or two in advance and serve it directly from your fridge. Or, you can take it in your lunch all week to work. All of these ingredients are super nutrient-packed, so it will give you a great midday energy boost.
This recipe is part of a January/New Year initiative to bring you healthy recipes all month long that align with the Mediterranean diet- make sure you follow along for more Mediterranean deliciousness!
One quick tip when making this recipe: to make this in advance and prevent it from getting too soggy, keep the ingredients as dry as possible. I blotted the olives and roasted red peppers dry with a paper towel before adding them, and I also made sure not to add any salt, which draws out water.
Here’s the printable recipe for Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip :-)Print
Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip
This Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip recipe is fresh and delicious! It’s the perfect snack to serve with pita chips. No cooking required! It’s packed with hummus, fresh veggies, olives, and feta and it’s super easy to assemble.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1.5–2 cups prepared hummus
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, blotted dry, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 8 oz. roasted red peppers, blotted dry and roughly chopped
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup halved or quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- fresh dill and extra-virgin olive oil for garnish (optional)
- whole wheat pita chips, for serving (optional- see notes)
- Spread the hummus evenly on the bottom of a small casserole dish, pie dish, or other shallow rimmed serving dish.
- Top evenly with cucumber, olives, roasted red peppers, feta cheese, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil on top and garnish with fresh dill, if desired.
- Serve with whole wheat pita chips as a dip. Alternatively, make sandwiches from the mixture in a whole wheat pita pocket, or spread on multigrain toast.
- This recipe can be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
- It’s very easy to make your own pita chips- just cut pita bread into triangles and separate the halves if they are pockets. Mix in a bowl with olive oil and kosher salt, and spread onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until starting to turn brown. Cool before serving.
- To make this vegan, just omit the feta cheese or substitute with a similar tasting vegan cheese.