This Oven Broiled Tandoori Chicken is super flavorful, charred, and smoky- just like at your favorite Indian restaurant! This healthy, low carb recipe takes only 20 minutes to cook and is perfect on its own or in your favorite Indian chicken dish. If you’re looking for a healthy, delicious way to start the new year, you MUST try this easy recipe!
Because the chicken is broiled rather than baked, it gets that delicious char on the outside that you’d normally get from grilling. That, plus the addition of smoked paprika, gives it a great smoky flavor without the hassle of grilling. The smoked paprika also gives it a great red color without the use of artificial dyes. It’s super quick to make- it only takes 20 minutes to cook in the oven! And it’s very healthy, since it’s made with chicken breast pieces rather than bone-in, skin-on pieces (which take longer to cook and have more fat).
The only thing that takes some time with this recipe is marinating. I recommend marinating overnight, but an hour will do in a pinch. You can also freeze the chicken marinated and transfer it from your freezer to fridge one day before you want to make it.
I love Indian food. But our favorite Indian restaurant is a thirty minute drive away. It’s not THAT far, but I know our days of going out to eat randomly are coming to a temporary hiatus, as we are expecting a little girl in only a few short weeks! I’m SO excited I have this recipe for when Indian food cravings hit but we’re trapped in the house. I’ll probably use this recipe next time I make my shortcut Chicken Tikka Masala, or for Curried Chicken Salad.
Tonight, we’re having this with an AWESOME Nepalese Potato Salad, which I’ll be posting about very soon. (With a GIVEAWAY! Woo hoo! Make sure you’re subscribed to Bowl of Delicious so you are in the know- just scroll to the top of the page for the subscription form.)
One quick word of advice. This chicken marinates in yogurt- I recommend using full-fat yogurt, but you can also use fat-free. If you do, I recommend adding a couple of tablespoons of olive (or other) oil to the marinade.
Recipe for Oven Broiled Tandoori Chicken below!
Oven Broiled Tandoori Chicken
- Wire baking/cooling rack
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl or gallon-sized plastic bag. Stir (or smush around, if in a bag), to coat the chicken evenly. Cover and marinate for at least one hour, and up to overnight, in the refrigerator.
- Broil for ten minutes on each side, or until chicken is charred and fully cooked.
- Serve with extra lime wedges and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- I recommend using full-fat yogurt. If using fat-free, I recommend adding 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the marinade.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Estimated Nutrition Information