From this moment on, I vow to make more baked egg dishes. Why? Because all you do is crack eggs into some stuff. And bake. It’s SO easy, and it makes an impressive brunch (or dinner)!
In this meal, potatoes are roasted with olive oil and rosemary (one of my all-time favorite combos). Then, in the same pan, the potatoes are topped with spinach, marinara, eggs, and cheese. The eggs cook in the oven and the cheese and sauce get bubbly and melty for a stress-free, delicious one pot meal-great for a crowd or for one.
It gets EXTRA amazing when you dip crusty french bread into the sauce and egg yolks. OMG yum.
The best part about this is how versatile it is. Low on time? Skip roasting the potatoes and just bake eggs in marinara and spinach. Like hard yolks? Cook for more time. Carnivore? Add some sausage to the potato layer. You can go all kinds of directions with this meal to please even the pickiest of palettes.
Here’s a tip for using frozen chopped spinach. Place in a colander, run warm water over it until it’s thawed, and use a wooden spoon to press the water out as much as humanly possible. You always want to remove as much water from frozen spinach as you can, so it doesn’t dilute the flavor of the dish you are making. Keep in mind, the volume of the spinach will decrease by about half when you do this!
I made this for brunch today for my mother, who came in to go shopping with me for the day. This was the perfect thing to have before going out and about- it was filling and satisfying without weighing us down (as some typical brunch fare tends to do). If you want to make individual portions of this, use the same ingredients in small ramekins. If you want to feed a larger crowd, use a large casserole dish. I used my cast iron skillet< because it’s one of my favorite things in the world.
Again… this meal is super versatile!
I’m already thinking of my next combo for baked eggs. Spinach, onion, and feta? Sausage, peppers, and onions?! Black bean, corn, and enchilada sauce instead of marinara??!! Yup, definitely trying this again. Soon. I’ll give you updates as soon as I have them :-)
Baked Eggs with Potatoes, Spinach, and Marinara
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary plus more to garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained (get as much liquid out as you can)
- 1 jar or about 3 cups marinara sauce
- 6-8 eggs depending on how many eggs each person wants
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Add spinach to potatoes and spread evenly.
- Add marinara on top of potato and spinach mixture.
- Make small wells in the marinara mixture with the back of a spoon in which to place the eggs. Crack an egg directly into each well, or use a ramekin to crack each individually and pour into each well.
- Sprinkle evenly with parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until egg whites are set. Bake for a bit longer if you want the yolks to be hard.
- Garnish with remaining rosemary, if desired.