Yep, that’s right, just like you find in your burrito at Chipotle. This recipe for Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is super easy to make as a side dish or as an addition to make-ahead frozen burritos.
Or piled up with with beans, vegetables, salsa, sour cream, and avocado. It’s very versatile, very tasty, very inexpensive, and super simple.
Whenever I make rice, I toast it slightly in butter before adding water. It adds a deeper depth of flavor to the rice.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium pot over medium heat, and add 1 cup of brown rice (I used basmati), the zest of one lime, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and toast, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
Add 2 cups of water (or chicken or vegetable stock, if you are feeling crazy).
Stir, bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat to low.
Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and the juice of the same lime you zested. Serve as a side or stuffed into your favorite burrito, such as baked chipotle chicken burritos.
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice- just like you get at Chipotle! An easy side dish made with only three ingredients. Brown rice is cooked with the zest of one lime, with lime juice and cilantro added at the end.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Sides
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Melt butter over medium heat in medium-sized pot.
- Add rice and the zest of one lime; toast, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes.
- Add liquid, stir, bring to a boil, cover, and turn heat down to low.
- Simmer for approximately 25 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- If you have a particularly juicy lime, start with only 1/2 of the juice. Taste and add more if necessary.
- I do my best to provide accurate nutrition information for my recipes, but I am not a nutritionist. The provided nutrition information is my best estimate. It does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 307 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg
Keywords: vegetarian, vegan, rice, gluten free, brown rice, cilantro, lime