Happy Friday, everyone! I have the day off of work today (and if you do as well, I hope you’re enjoying it!), and I’m making sure to do exciting and fun activities. Like, make salad dressing. That’s exciting and fun… right? Answer: yes.
Especially when it’s as delicious as this Fresh Ginger and Honey Salad Dressing. It’s sweet, tangy, and loaded with the zesty, spicy taste of fresh ginger (which also happens to be extremely good for you), and it’s one of the simplest and easiest dressings to make from scratch.
Love salads? Good for you! Don’t love salads, but wish you would eat more of them because you know they are healthy? Well, this post is made for you. As they say, a salad is only as good as its dressing (actually, nobody says this, but I may have just coined a new phrase). And in my book, a homemade dressing ALWAYS beats a store-bought- not only because they taste better and are less expensive, but because they don’t contain processed ingredients and preservatives.
Make a batch of this on the weekend and enjoy fresh salads all week long (really, just throw this on some baby spinach, and there you have it! A salad!), or use some as a marinade for grilled chicken or veggies. It will stay fresh in the fridge for a month, leaving you plenty of time to use it up.
I have two suggestions for you when you make this recipe.
- Use a food processor. Not only will it mince the fresh ginger for you, but it will also emulsify the dressing way better than whisking it by hand. Just add the ginger and process until finely minced, add the rest of the ingredients except for the oil and process together, and while the food processor is running, add the oil. You will get a perfectly emulsified dressing every time. Don’t own one? I have this Cuisinart 9-cup food processor, and love it.
- Peel the ginger with a spoon. Never mind using a vegetable peeler to peel fresh ginger- it takes too much of the actual ginger off with the peel, and it’s hard to manage. A spoon takes the peel off only, and is much easier. Watch this video for a how-to.
Fresh Ginger and Honey Salad Dressing
This Fresh Ginger and Honey Dressing is sweet, tangy, and zesty, and will make you love salad! It’s so easy to make a big batch, and will last for a month in the fridge. Alternatively, use as a marinade for grilled chicken or veggies.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 1 two-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar*
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Mince ginger in a food processor (you can also do this by hand).
- Add to the food processor the honey, salt, pepper, and vinegar; pulse to combine (if not using a food processor, whisk these ingredients together in a bowl).
- While food processor is running, add oil gradually (or add oil to bowl while whisking), in order to emulsify the dressing.
- Store in an airtight container or jar for up to one month in the fridge.
* Red wine, apple cider or other vinegars may also be used in place of rice vinegar.