This healthy egg salad recipe is made with Greek yogurt, fresh dill, and tangy lemon juice. Since it has no mayo, it’s lower in calories but still bursting with yummy, fresh flavor! It’s a 5-minute, 4-ingredient, healthy, cheap lunch and great for meal prep.
It’s so easy to whip up a batch of this egg salad for a quick and cheap lunch (or dinner!). This recipe is for two portions, but you can easily cut it in half for a single serving or double, triple, or even quadruple it for meal prep or to feed a crowd.
I like serving it on soft whole grain bread, or on lettuce wraps for a low carb version. Or with crackers. Or with a spoon, straight from the bowl.
With no mayo, this egg salad recipe is lighter and healthier and lower in fat than mayo-based versions, but still high in protein. I made it with fat free Greek yogurt to keep it extra light, but you can use full-fat for a richer flavor, or even add a little olive oil into the mix.
How to make Greek yogurt egg salad
- Mix some Greek yogurt, fresh dill, fresh lemon juice, kosher salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add chopped hard boiled eggs and stir to coat.
That’s it! It’s SO easy, it’s almost not fair.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure you boil easy-to-peel eggs. I like to boil them with a little bit of oil, and I also find that steaming them in a basket over boiling water, rather than submerging them, works as well.
- Make sure you use enough salt, lemon juice, and dill. Greek yogurt has a lot less flavor than mayonnaise, so you’ll need to compensate a bit.
- Chopping the eggs with a knife is easy enough, but if you want some assistance, an egg slicer is a nifty tool that’s great for things like this. You can place the egg in it in two directions to get a cut across both ways.
How to store egg salad
This egg salad will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
Because it’s made with yogurt instead of mayonnaise, you may notice some liquid pooling up in it. This is normal. If this happens, just give it a stir before serving, or pour any excess liquid out.
What kind of bread is best for egg salad?
I recommend using a SOFT bread for egg salad.
I recently discovered Dave’s Killer Bread in the bread aisle in my grocery store and definitely recommend it. It’s made with great ingredients, and there are all kinds that are much healthier than other bread-aisle breads. I like the thin-sliced organic 21 whole grains and seeds version.
Breads that have been well-toasted, or chewy breads like baguettes, aren’t great for egg salad because it’s such a delicate filling, so it will squish out the sides if the bread isn’t also soft and delicate.
I love the taste of fresh dill and lemon, but you can use other fresh herbs (like cilantro, basil, and/or mint) and another acidic ingredient (like vinegar or lime juice).
You could even use avocado instead of Greek yogurt for a dairy-free version.
Play around with it- this is an easy base recipe that’s very forgiving!
Other healthy recipes with Greek Yogurt
- Tzatziki Greek yogurt chicken salad
- Easy Authentic Tzatziki Sauce
- Healthy chicken and mushroom stroganoff
- Garlic poached salmon with creamy lemon caper sauce
Did you make this healthy greek yogurt egg salad with dill recipe? Please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe
Greek Yogurt Egg Salad with Dill
- Stir all ingredients except for eggs in a bowl until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add the chopped eggs and stir to coat well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve on soft whole wheat bread, with crackers, or on lettuce wraps for a low carb option.
- For a richer taste, use full-fat Greek yogurt and/or add a teaspoon or so of extra-virgin olive oil to the mix.
- Storage/meal prep: this egg salad will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container. Because it's made with yogurt, some liquid may separate out- if this happens, just give it a stir before serving or pour any pooling liquid out. Double the recipe for lunch all week long!
Estimated Nutrition Information
This post originally appeared on Bowl of Delicious in March, 2015. It has been updated with new photos and clearer instructions.