Let’s face it. One of the best things about going to an Italian restaurant is the olive oil bread dip that appears immediately upon being seated. Who even orders appetizers when you can have this amazing, delicious, dip of the gods for free?
Well, actually, I do that very frequently, but not without getting second (or third?) helpings of the olive oil dip as well. Have I mentioned I love to eat?
This is potentially my favorite snack.
After coming home from work, Zach and I are ravenous and ready to eat anything within sight, so it can be difficult to wait to eat until dinner is ready. In this case, we often take a note from our favorite Italian restaurants and bring the restaurant to us in the form of this super easy and simple olive oil dip!
All this is is a mixture of mostly olive oil, a pinch each of salt and freshly ground black pepper, a teeny bit of crushed red pepper, and a swirl of balsamic vinegar.
I don’t measure the amounts- I just make it look pretty. You really can’t go wrong.
Lately, I’ve been making sure to buy fresh baked bread, taking it home, slicing it, and freezing it until I need it. I’ll use it for sandwiches, grilled cheese, toast, and of course, as a conduit to the olive oil dip.
It’s a good alternative to pre-sliced bread from the bread aisle, which is, more often than not, less tasty and often has preservatives.
Fresh baked bread from the bakery is the way to go, or this homemade whole wheat no knead focaccia with rosemary and sea salt!
When we make this dip, I just take a couple (or 17) slices out of the freezer, pop them in the toaster, and viola. Italian restaurant right in our very own kitchen!Print
Olive Oil Bread Dip
Bring home the best part of an Italian restaurant with this easy, slightly spicy olive oil bread dip.
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 1 min
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Italian
- Pour the olive oil onto a small plate or shallow bowl
- Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
- Add approximately 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar by swirling into the mixture
- Serve with warm toasted bread
- It’s fun to play around with this! Add some chopped fresh herbs, freshly grated parmesan cheese, or other spices.
- I do my best to provide accurate nutrition information for my recipes, but I am not a nutritionist. The provided nutrition information is my best estimate. It does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Bread dip, olive oil, appetizer, snack