These Salmon Burgers with Lemon Caper Aioli are so easy to make, super moist and delicious, and a healthier, omega-3 packed alternative to a traditional beef burger. They’re also perfect for the Lenten season, whether you’re trying to eat less meat, no meat, or meat-free on Fridays!
I made these for Zach and his parents a few weekends ago and, not to brag or anything, but they LOVED them. They were a huge hit. Zach declared them his “new favorite way to eat salmon,” which is a bold statement, since we eat it a lot around here.
I’ve made salmon croquettes before with canned salmon, which is already cooked (like tuna). They are delicious, for sure. But these use fresh salmon, chopped up into itty bitty pieces, formed into a patty with some other stuff, and THEN cooked (as you would with ground beef for a regular burger). The result is a super moist, fresh patty with a perfect sear on the outside that holds up perfectly.
The best thing about this recipe is you can make it way in advance. You can mix and form the patties up to two days before cooking and keep them in your fridge, or you can freeze them! Just place the formed patties on a baking sheet in your freezer to flash freeze them for about a half an hour. Then, transfer them to a container or bag separated with parchment paper. This will ensure that they maintain their shape and don’t get squished together. Just be sure to defrost them completely before cooking them to ensure even cooking.
Similarly, the sauce can be made days in advance of eating. I recommend doubling the sauce recipe and serving homemade sweet potato fries with the meal, using the extra sauce for dipping.
Try these other salmon recipes:
- Garlic Butter Sheet Pan Salmon and Veggies
- 15-Minute Perfect Poached Salmon with Chive Butter
- Orange Glazed Salmon
- Salmon, Arugula, and Feta Frittata
- One-Pan Garlic Butter Salmon and Swiss Chard
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- Seared Salmon with Scallion Butter
- Seared Salmon with Avocado, Lemon, and Garlic Aioli
- Garlic Poached Salmon with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce
Recipe for Salmon Burgers with Lemon Caper Aioli below!
Salmon Burgers with Lemon Caper Aioli
For the Burgers:
- 1-1 1/4 lbs. salmon skin removed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from about 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Lemon Caper Aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from about 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Burger buns
- Chop the salmon roughly into approximately 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix chopped salmon in a medium sized bowl with lemon zest, parsley, onion, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Start with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and if the mixture seems too wet, add more until you reach the desired consistency.
- Form the mixture into four equal sized patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet (such as a cast iron skillet) to medium high heat. Sear the patties on one side for approximately 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the lemon caper aioli in a small bowl.
- Serve the patties on toasted burger buns topped with aioli and arugula.
- For a lower-carb version, omit the bun and serve on lettuce wraps or on top of a bed of greens drizzled with the sauce.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.