This slow cooker white chicken chili is my husband Zach’s recipe (adapted from the kitchn), and we’ve had it oh… I’d say… four times in the past three weeks? That sounds about right. It’s absolutely delicious, smells amazing, and today it played a role in a very important cause in a chili cook off at Zach’s school!
If you don’t already know, Zach and I met as teachers. I stopped teaching this past June in order to pursue blogging full time, but he’s still going strong teaching high school biology and AP biology. Today, his school hosted a chili cook off in order to raise funds for a student who has Rett Syndrome.
Here are all the crockpots full of chili, the department that hosted it, and the kids that helped, as well as Tori, for whom this was all for!
Don’t know what Rett Syndrome is? That’s OK, I didn’t either. It’s a neurological disorder that affects mostly girls and can severely impact their movement and speech. While there is no cure yet, researchers are hopeful that a cure will be found soon, which could potentially unlock the cure to dozens of other neurological disorders and disabilities as well. You can find out more about it here, and about Tori’s story here. And if you’re feeling generous in this wonderful holiday season, there is a place for donations on those sites as well!
Here’s what I love about this chili recipe.
- Its extremely simple, both in taste and how you make it. But a couple of things really help deepen the simple flavors, such as using fire roasted peppers and stirring in fresh lime juice at the end.
- It’s made in the SLOW COOKER. Need I say more? It does almost all the work for you.
- The recipe is easily adaptable to be grain free or dairy free, if you want (see recipe notes below).
- It makes a TON. And it’s freezable, which means you can likely get two, maybe even three meals out of this!
If you don’t already have a slow cooker, for Pete’s sake, buy one! It will make your life soooo much easier. And don’t forget, click here to learn more about Rett syndrome or to donate to help find a cause.
Recipe for Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili below!Print
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
This slow cooker white chicken chili is cozy, gluten free, and smells AMAZING while it cooks. Plus, you can easily make it dairy and grain free!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2–3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken (white or dark meat is fine)
- 3, 4-oz cans mild, fire roasted diced green chilies
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 15 oz. cans white kidney beans (or cannellini, navy, or great northern beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 oz. sour cream
- juice of one lime
- optional: shredded monterey jack cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, and/or hot sauce for serving
- Place all ingredients except for beans, corn, sour cream, lime juice, and optional toppings into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice to small pieces and stir back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans and corn. Heat for 15 minutes more.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and lime juice.
- Serve with optional fixings.
For a more mild chili, omit the jalapeno.
For a dairy free version, omit the sour cream.
For a grain free version, omit the corn.
For smaller slow cookers, divide the ingredients in half.
To make on the stove top, follow the same directions but instead of cooking for 5 1/2 hours, cook for about an hour or until the chicken is fully cooked.