This slow cooker white chicken chili is my husband Zach’s recipe (adapted from the kitchn), and we’ve had it oh… I’d say… four times in the past three weeks? That sounds about right. It’s absolutely delicious, smells amazing, and today it played a role in a very important cause in a chili cook off at Zach’s school!
If you don’t already know, Zach and I met as teachers. I stopped teaching this past June in order to pursue blogging full time, but he’s still going strong teaching high school biology and AP biology. Today, his school hosted a chili cook off in order to raise funds for a student who has Rhett Syndrome.
Here’s what I love about this chili recipe.
- Its extremely simple, both in taste and how you make it. But a couple of things really help deepen the simple flavors, such as using fire roasted peppers and stirring in fresh lime juice at the end.
- It’s made in the SLOW COOKER. Need I say more? It does almost all the work for you.
- The recipe is easily adaptable to be grain free or dairy free, if you want (see recipe notes below).
- It makes a TON. And it’s freezable, which means you can likely get two, maybe even three meals out of this!
If you don’t already have a slow cooker, for Pete’s sake, buy one! It will make your life soooo much easier.
Recipe for Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili below!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker
- 2 onions diced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely diced
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 12 oz. canned mild fire roasted diced green chilies (three 4-oz. cans)
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 oz. canned white kidney beans or cannellini, navy, or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 oz. sour cream
- juice of one lime
- optional: shredded Monterey jack cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, and/or hot sauce for serving
- Place all ingredients except for beans, corn, sour cream, and lime juice into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice to small pieces and stir back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans and corn. Heat for 15 minutes more, covered.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and lime juice.
- Serve with optional fixings.
- For a spicier version, leave the seeds in the jalapeño.
- For a dairy free version, omit the sour cream or replace it with coconut milk.
- For a grain free version, omit the corn.
- For small slow cookers, divide the ingredients in half.
- To make on the stove top, follow the same directions but instead of cooking for 5 1/2 hours, cook for about an hour or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.