This slow cooker white chicken chili is my husband Zach’s recipe (adapted from the kitchn), and we’ve had it oh… I’d say… four times in the past three weeks? That sounds about right. It’s absolutely delicious, smells amazing, and today it played a role in a very important cause in a chili cook off at Zach’s school!
If you don’t already know, Zach and I met as teachers. I stopped teaching this past June in order to pursue blogging full time, but he’s still going strong teaching high school biology and AP biology. Today, his school hosted a chili cook off in order to raise funds for a student who has Rett Syndrome.
Here are all the crockpots full of chili, the department that hosted it, and the kids that helped, as well as Tori, for whom this was all for!
Don’t know what Rett Syndrome is? That’s OK, I didn’t either. It’s a neurological disorder that affects mostly girls and can severely impact their movement and speech. While there is no cure yet, researchers are hopeful that a cure will be found soon, which could potentially unlock the cure to dozens of other neurological disorders and disabilities as well.
Here’s what I love about this chili recipe.
- Its extremely simple, both in taste and how you make it. But a couple of things really help deepen the simple flavors, such as using fire roasted peppers and stirring in fresh lime juice at the end.
- It’s made in the SLOW COOKER. Need I say more? It does almost all the work for you.
- The recipe is easily adaptable to be grain free or dairy free, if you want (see recipe notes below).
- It makes a TON. And it’s freezable, which means you can likely get two, maybe even three meals out of this!
If you don’t already have a slow cooker, for Pete’s sake, buy one! It will make your life soooo much easier. And don’t forget, click here to learn more about Rett syndrome or to donate to help find a cause.
Recipe for Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili below!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 2 onions diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 2-3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken (white or dark meat is fine)
- 3, 4- oz cans mild fire roasted diced green chilies
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 15 oz. cans white kidney beans or cannellini, navy, or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 oz. sour cream
- juice of one lime
- optional: shredded monterey jack cheese cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, and/or hot sauce for serving
- Place all ingredients except for beans, corn, sour cream, lime juice, and optional toppings into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice to small pieces and stir back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans and corn. Heat for 15 minutes more.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and lime juice.
- Serve with optional fixings.