This truly is the ULTIMATE vegetarian pita sandwich (vegan optional). Piled high with hummus, tabbouleh, a creamy yogurt dill sauce, homemade pickled carrots, greens, and tomatoes, it’s a healthy and nutrient-packed lunch option that will give you a wonderful boost of energy midday. And best of all: you can meal prep by making everything in advance for easy sandwiches all week!
This recipe is inspired by a vegan pita sandwich at one of my new favorite local bakeries, Skull and Cakebones. I was craving it something fierce the other day and after getting one, I decided I had to figure out how to recreate it at home.
It’s easy to adapt this recipe to be vegan- just use your favorite vegan yogurt substitute in the dill sauce.
The only things you have to prepare yourself are the yogurt sauce and the pickled carrots, which both are so easy. I love throwing these pickled carrots on sandwiches of all kinds- they add a sweet and tangy punch that can make any sandwich (or veggie burger!) extra special. You’ll need store-bought, prepared hummus and tabbouleh as well (but if you want to make your own hummus or tabbouleh, go on with your bad self).
I honestly don’t know how I’m going to make any other sandwich, ever. I know the day will come, but right now, all I want is a big pile of these sandwiches ready to go at all times in my fridge.
Here’s a trick to working with pita. I used pita flatbread, meaning it didn’t have “pockets” to stuff. I rolled it up like a gyro sandwich. Pita can be a bit dry and crumbly, which means it has a tendency to break apart. I recommend wrapping the pita in a damp paper towel and microwaving it for about 10 seconds, or until just warmed up, before making the sandwiches. This will make it a bit more malleable and less likely to break. I also wrapped mine in foil (but used parchment for the photos because it’s prettier!) so it held together better while I was eating it (like a burrito).
Here’s the recipe for the ULTIMATE vegetarian pita sandwich!
The Ultimate Vegetarian Pita Sandwich
For the Pickled Carrots:
For the Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or vegan alternative yogurt, if desired
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- kosher salt to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for pickled carrots. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for dill yogurt sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Wrap a damp paper towel around the pita bread and microwave until just warmed (about 10 seconds per pita). This will make it more malleable and less likely to break.
- To assemble the sandwiches, layer about 2-3 tablespoons of the hummus, yogurt sauce, and tabbouleh, with some greens, tomato, and carrots, in that order, on each pita. Carefully wrap the pita around the ingredients. If it seems too messy or like it's going to break, wrap it in foil or parchment to keep it together.
- Meal prep: This recipe is perfect for weekly meal prep- make all the ingredients beforehand for sandwiches all week! I recommend assembling the sandwiches the day of so the greens stay fresh, but if you're in a hurry, you can also assemble them a couple days in advance and they will be just fine.