Yum yum yum. I’ve helped make these on multiple visits to Texas to visit Zach’s family, and tried them on my own for the first time. These are so easy, and the best part is that all you have to do is assemble them, wrap them in foil. and keep them in a warm oven until you are ready to serve! You can choose any toppings you want (vegetarian or not) and they come out perfectly warm with delicious melted cheese. These are perfect for a quick brunch idea or for house guests who may get up at different times throughout the morning.
The down side of making these in New England: lack of delicious, fresh tortillas. Any bakery in any grocery store in Texas has tortillas-a-plenty, but not so up here. Sometime, I will figure out how to make my own. For these, I used yellow corn and wheat tortillas from Trader Joe’s. Not the same as the fluffy flour tortillas of Texas, but pretty tasty, if you ask me!
When we ate the tacos, we topped them with avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce, and salsa.
Other combos that are probably delicious that I will be (hopefully) trying in the near future: sauteed peppers and onions or other veggie combos, carne guisada or pulled pork, plain ol’ egg and cheese, refried beans… the possibilities are endless, and are carnivore and herbivore friendly.Print
Make Ahead Breakfast Tacos
Extremely easy and convenient, these tacos are a combination of eggs, toppings of your choice, and cheese, assembled ahead of time and kept in a warm oven wrapped in foil until you are ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 eggs, scrambled
- Toppings of your choice: chopped cooked bacon, pulled pork, sausage, peppers and onions, other sauteed veggies, etc.
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Fixings for serving: sliced avocado, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, hot sauce, etc.
- Layer the scrambled eggs, toppings, and cheese in each tortilla.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and place on baking sheet or casserole dish.
- Keep in warm oven (250 degrees) until you are ready to serve- at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with fixings.