This easy Roasted Delicata Squash recipe features squash tossed with maple syrup, olive oil, salt, and pepper, roasted, then topped with crumbled goat cheese and pomegranate seeds before serving. The goat cheese melts perfectly on the warm squash and the flavor combination is out of this world! This is an impressive, colorful side dish easy enough for a weeknight but beautiful enough for a holiday dinner – and best of all, no peeling the squash!
I’m just coming in hot with a last-minute side dish perfect for Thanksgiving, or any fall or winter feast. When I saw delicata squash at my local farm I couldn’t resist. With the tender skin that you can eat (no peeling- woo hoo!), and sweet and tender flesh that melts in your mouth, delicata squash is one of my favorite squashes to cook.
This delicata squash is roasted with maple syrup for perfect caramelized edges (you can also use honey). Then, it’s topped with crumbled goat cheese (or feta) and garnished with sweet, juicy pomegranate and some bright fresh herbs. You can eat this as a side dish or even pile it on top of greens, like arugula or spinach, for a salad that will knock your socks off.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Delicata Squash – you can also use another winter squash like cubed butternut squash.
- Maple Syrup – or honey, or omit if you like (though it adds beautiful caramelization).
- Goat cheese – the soft kind (chevre), or crumbled feta, or another crumbly soft cheese like queso fresco, or even blue cheese for a punch of unique flavor.
- Pomegranate seeds – if you can’t find any, omit them, or in a pinch substitute with dried cranberries.
- Fresh parsley – and/or another herb like mint, dill, basil, or oregano.
How to roast delicata squash
- First, preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can skip the parchment if you like but it makes for easy clean-up! Prep your squash by halving it, scooping the seeds out, and slicing into about 1/2-inch thick pieces and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil and maple syrup, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast the squash until golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside (stick a fork in it to test for doneness).
- Place the squash on a serving dish or platter. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, and fresh parsley. All done!
Please scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe including ingredient amounts and detailed instructions.
Tips and Tricks
- To save time, I recommend buying pre-seeded pomegranate. If you want to do it yourself, here’s a great guide for how to cut a pomegranate. You can also prep your squash a day or two in advance so it’s cut and ready to go.
- For extra credit, you can roast the delicata squash seeds and eat them as a snack or top them on the roasted squash!
- Make it a salad! Toss some arugula or mixed greens with your favorite dressing, then serve this squash on top of the dressed greens.
Sure! Just omit the cheese or use a vegan substitute.
Roasted vegetables are best served right away, but this dish is so delicious at room temperature as well. If you like, you can roast the squash an hour or so early, and let it cool at room temperature. Then top with the cheese, pomegranate, and parsley just before serving. Leftovers store relatively well; just microwave to reheat.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #bowlofdelicious or tagging @bowlofdelicious!
Maple Roasted Delicata Squash with Goat Cheese and Pomegranate
- 2-3 delicata squash halved, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 2 oz. goat cheese (chevre) crumbled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or other herbs like mint, dill, basil, and/or oregano
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (optional, for easy clean-up). Place the halved, seeded, and sliced delicata squash on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the squash with the olive oil (2 tablespoons), maple syrup (1 tablespoon), and season with kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon), and black pepper (1/4 teaspoon). Toss together to coat, arranging the squash pieces in a single layer and spreading them out evenly.
- Roast the squash at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside. Flip over if you want to halfway, but it's not necessary.
- Place cooked squash on a serving dish or platter. Sprinkle with the crumbled goat cheese (2 oz.), the pomegranate seeds (1/4 cup), and fresh chopped parsley (2 tablespoons). Serve.
- Optional: roast the delicata squash seeds and eat as a snack or use as another topping for the roasted squash.
- To save time, buy pre-seeded pomegranate and/or prep and cut the squash in advance.
- This dish is best served right away, but can also be served at room temperature. Roast the squash, allow to cool at room temp, and top with the goat cheese, pomegranate, and parsley just before serving.
- Make it vegan/dairy free by omitting the cheese or using a vegan substitute.
- Make it a salad! Toss baby arugula or other baby greens with your favorite dressing and serve the squash on top of the dressed greens.
- The squash may take more or less time to roast. It depends on how big they are, and how much water content there is (usually fresh picked squash has more water). So make sure you allot for enough time to roast for a little longer if you aren’t sure!
Nutrition Information Disclaimer
The provided nutrition information is my best estimate and does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information. Feel free to calculate it yourself using one of these tools:
Leave a Reply