Ever have a recipe that you used to make ALL the time- like, every week- and then one day, you completely forget about it? This is that recipe for me. I haven’t made it in two years, and I re-discovered it a few days ago.
I’m SO happy I did! I may be back to my once-a-week schedule. Yum yum yum.
Spicy quinoa and black beans is the ultimate healthy yet satisfying (and scrumptious!) dish. And it’s a really easy, one-pot meal! It’s vegan-friendly and is packed with nutrient-rich grains, vegetables, beans, and tons of flavor.
We had this for dinner topped with sour cream, monterey jack cheese, avocado, and hot sauce (chipotle tabasco sauce is my absolute favorite… go get some!) With tons of leftovers, we made burritos to take with us to work for lunch the next day… again, with all the fixings. It was like Chipotle, but healthier and cheaper!
I love it when a meal is super versatile, and can be used for multiple purposes. Next time I make frozen burritos, I think I’m going to use it in place of the beans and rice. It also makes a great side to any other Mexican dish you are making, and is a great vegetarian/vegan dish to take to a potluck. I imagine that it would be delicious topped with a fried or poached egg for brunch as well (because let’s face it- anything topped with an egg instantly becomes brunch!), or as the base for a veggie burger.
I clearly have lots of experimenting to do :-)
Hope you enjoy!Print
Spicy Quinoa and Black Beans
This easy, one-pot, vegan-friendly dish is sure to satisfy anyone who loves bold flavor! Nutrient-rich grains, vegetables, and beans make for a hearty meal topped with sour cream and avocado, or side to your favorite Mexican dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth (water can also be substituted in a pinch!)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (or two cans)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional: fixings for serving (sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, hot sauce, limes, etc.)
- In a large pot, saute the onion and bell pepper in olive oil over medium-high heat until browned (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add garlic; saute for one minute.
- Add quinoa, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper; stir to coat.
- Add vegetable or chicken broth, stir, bring to a boil, and cover.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Add frozen corn, black beans, and cilantro; continue cooking on low heat until beans and corn are heated through (approximately 5 minutes).
- Serve on it’s own, or top with optional fixings in a bowl or in a wrap as a burrito.