This was a BIG WIN this week.
As much as I want to make sandwiches out of this Awesome Chicken Salad for the rest of the week, I’m not sure it’s going to last as I keep visiting the refrigerator for spoonfuls of it.
This chicken salad recipe was inspired by a sandwich at Galaxy Cafe in Austin, and includes grapes, celery, and walnuts. It’s simple, and easy to make in bulk on the weekend so you can have sandwiches (or spoonfuls) all week.
I try to not use mayo on a regular basis, since it contains refined oils. I often substitute sour cream for mayo, like in homemade ranch dressing. For this chicken salad, you can use mayo, sour cream, or a mixture of both. I chose the latter for this batch. Anything you do will be delicious.
This recipe makes a bulk batch of chicken salad, which is enough for 6-8 sandwiches. Elizabeth-sized sandwiches. I don’t mess around. If you want less, adjust the ingredients accordingly :-)
You will need about 1 pound of cooked chicken. I grilled mine on my cast iron grill by brushing with olive oil and adding salt and pepper to each side. No regrets there- it came out VERY good.
While the chicken is grilling, quarter some red grapes and slice some celery very thinly. Add them to a large bowl, along with some chopped walnuts.
Shred the chicken. Don’t chop, shred. I used two forks to do this. When you shred it, there is more surface for the sauce to stick to, and it will stay in your sandwich better without falling out the sides as much. Physics, people.
Add to the bowl 2/3 cup of mayo, sour cream, or 1/3 cup of each. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix. When the chicken has cooled, add to the bowl and mix well.
Go ahead, try a spoonful. Or 7.
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded (I grilled mine with olive oil, salt, and pepper)
- 2/3 cup mayo, sour cream, or a mixture of both
- 1/2 cup quartered red grapes
- 1/2 cup finely sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- If necessary, cook and shred chicken with two forks. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix grapes, celery, walnuts, mayo or sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooled shredded chicken and mix.
- Serve on sandwiches with toasted bread or on top of a green salad.
- This recipe makes chicken salad in bulk. For a smaller portion, reduce amounts accordingly.