You’ve got to try this healthy curried chicken salad with apples and raisins! It’s packed with sweet-spicy flavor, and it’s lightened up by using Greek yogurt instead of mayo. It’s the perfect thing for meal prep, served on a sandwich, with crackers, or on some baby greens!
Chicken salad is one of my favorite healthy things to have around. It’s packed with lean protein, and it’s SO versatile. And it lasts for about a week in the fridge, so it’s great to make in bulk!
I love the Indian-inspired flavors in this dish. The curry powder is savory and fragrant and a little spicy- a perfect contrast to the sweet, crunchy apples and tart golden raisins.
What kind of chicken to use
You could also cook it specifically for this recipe, if you want to go big here. Whip up some oven-broiled tandoori chicken to give it even more flavor.
The important thing here is to SHRED your chicken, rather than chop it. Trust me. Shredding chicken for chicken salad helps create more nooks and crannies for the dressing to stick. This improves the flavor AND helps it stay together inside a sandwich a bit more.
Is curry powder spicy?
Curry powder comes in all different forms. Some are super spicy, others very mild. If you are unsure about yours, test out a small amount and add more if needed.
How to make curried chicken salad
The other thing I love about making chicken salad is how FAST and EASILY it comes together. Just mix your ingredients together in a large bowl, and you’re good to go!
For this recipe:
- First mix the dressing (Greek yogurt, curry powder, salt, and pepper) in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Then, add some cooked shredded chicken, diced apples, golden raisins, red onion, and cilantro.
- Stir it all up and you’re good to go!
What makes this curried chicken salad healthy?
Swapping out Greek yogurt for mayonnaise in this chicken salad increases the protein AND reduces the fat. Plus, you get all the added benefits of yogurt, like the healthy bacteria that feed your microbiome.
You can use full-fat yogurt, low-fat, or fat-free, depending on your nutrition needs and preference.
The addition of apples and raisins also adds healthy vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber.
Can I make it dairy-free?
YES! You can definitely use mayonnaise if you prefer. This would also make it paleo/whole30 compliant, as long as you use a compliant brand of mayo.
You can also use hummus as a substitute for the yogurt for a healthier dairy-free option.
How long does it stay good for?
This chicken salad will last 3-5 days in your fridge in an airtight container.
To make it last longer, store it in the back of your fridge where it’s coldest.
How to serve Curried Chicken Salad
If you want a sandwich, you can serve curried chicken salad on toasted bread or inside a pita pocket. If you’re feeling more decadent, try using a croissant! I like throwing some baby greens in there, too.
For a low carb option, try serving it in lettuce wraps or on top of a bed of greens.
Finally, I love eating chicken salad cold straight from the fridge with some crackers or pita chips as a healthy and filling snack. This would also work as an appetizer for a party.
Other Chicken Salad Recipes
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts
- Southwest Chicken Salad with Avocado
- Apricot Chicken Salad with Dill
- Tzatziki Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt
Other Healthy Recipes with Greek Yogurt
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad with Dill and Lemon
- Healthy Chicken Stroganoff with Mushrooms
- Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins
Be sure to check out all my sandwich recipes here!
Healthy Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Raisins
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt regular will work, too
- 1.5 teaspoons curry powder more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken such as rotisserie
- 1 small apple diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or regular raisins
- 1/4 cup diced red onion or scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix together the Greek yogurt (3/4 cup), curry powder (1.5 teaspoon), kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon), and black pepper (1/4 teaspoon) in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken (2 cups), diced apple, raisins (1/2 cup), red onion (1/4 cup), and cilantro (2 tablespoons) to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve on toasted bread, with crackers, on lettuce wraps, or on a bed of greens.
- Make it paleo/whole30: use compliant mayo (1/2 cup) instead of yogurt.
- Make it dairy-free: use mayo (1/2 cup) or hummus instead of yogurt.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in your fridge for 3-5 days.
Estimated Nutrition Information
This recipe first appeared on Bowl of Delicious in August, 2014. It has been updated with a simpler recipe, new photos, and more pertinent information in the post.