AVOCADO TOAST!! How did I not hop on this food trend train earlier? If you haven’t tried it yet, you are in for a treat. Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this Avocado and Chorizo Toast is jam-packed with flavor and healthy fats for a simple meal that takes only minutes to throw together.
In its most basic form, avocado toast is nothing more than mashed avocado on- you guessed it- toast, seasoned with salt and pepper. This recipe is SO much more than that.
First, the toast itself is made extra special by a drizzle of olive oil and a fresh clove of garlic rubbed into each oiled piece. This is my favorite way to make savory toasts- for this, for bruschetta, for a poached egg, etc.
Then, the avocado is mashed onto the toast and seasoned not only with salt and pepper, but a squeeze of fresh lime juice and some fresh cilantro. It’s like a quick guacamole- no mixing bowl required.
THEN, the whole thing is topped with chorizo. Sweet, sweet chorizo. The smoky and spicy sausage is a staple in Mexican food. It can be difficult to find in the grocery store sometimes- don’t be afraid to ask an employee where it is (in all the grocery stores I’ve been in, it’s never with the other sausage). Look for one that’s free of nitrates and nitrites with all-natural ingredients.
Vegan or vegetarian? You may be able to find a suitable meat-free chorizo, especially at specialty grocery stores. If not, here’s a recipe from Serious Eats for a vegan version that uses a mixture of tofu, tempeh, and lentils (with tons of spices). Or, just forego it all together- there’s nothing wrong with guacamole on toast on its own! If you do this, I suggest topping it with a bit of Chipotle Tabasco Sauce– my FAVORITE- for a smoky and spicy flavor that it would otherwise be missing without the chorizo.
I can’t wait to try other kinds of avocado toast. Any suggestions?
Avocado and Chorizo Toast
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet until browned and fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in a toaster.
- As soon as the bread comes out of the toaster while it's still warm, drizzle each with an equal portion of the olive oil and rub the cut side of the garlic onto each oiled piece.
- Using a fork, mash 1/4 of the avocado on top of each piece of toast.
- Top the avocado with a squeeze of lime juice, salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro.
- Distribute the cooked chorizo evenly on top of the avocado toasts.
- Serve with extra cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
- Vegan/vegetarian? Check your grocery store for a meat-free chorizo or make your own.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.