There are just so many good things happening right now, not the least of which is browned butter. Which, in my book, is ALWAYS a good thing. This spaghetti is one of my new favorite pasta dishes- it’s simple and extremely delicious- with rich browned butter, lemon, plenty of garlic, parmesan cheese, almonds, and wilted greens (I used spinach and arugula). Yummmm.
And it only takes 15 minutes (!!!) to make!
Now, hold your horses for a moment. I will get to this spaghetti in just a sec, because there is something else very exciting that I would like to share with you.
I am so happy to announce that Bowl of Delicious is one of the five finalists for the Best Food Weblog for the 2015 Bloggies Weblog Awards!!!
This is SO COOL because I am up against four of my favorite (and very well-known) food blogs: Pinch of Yum, Smitten Kitchen, Skinnytaste, and Simply Recipes. And, The Pioneer Woman (my food blogging idol) has won this award three times in the past! I’m so happy to be listed in a category with these amazing people.
So will you do me a favor? Take one minute (that’s all it takes!) to vote for Bowl of Delicious at 2015.bloggi.es for Best Food Weblog (just scroll down until you see the category). And while your at it, make sure you check out all the other amazing blogs listed on the site (my friend Liz from the hilarious blog A Mothership Down is up for Best New Weblog, too!)! Voting ends March 22. Tell your friends :-)
OK back to food. This is, after all, an AWARD-NOMINATED food blog. So, spaghetti. Here we go.
This has to be the fastest and easiest pasta dish I have ever made, and definitely one of the tastiest. But the je ne sais quoi of this dish is absolutely the earthy, rich, decadent lemon-garlic browned butter sauce that is drizzled all over the pasta after cooking.
Do you know what browned butter is? Ever made it before? If not, then you need to jump on this train and try it out. Butter is great. But BROWNED butter is even better (yes, there is such a thing as better than butter).
To make browned butter, start by melting butter in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat. Once it is all melted, turn heat to high and whisk continuously. The butter will begin to foam and will eventually turn a rich, deep brown color (this is the milk solids starting to brown from the high heat) and smell earthy and aromatic. This is when you know it’s done. Careful- don’t brown it too much or it will burn!
Once you try it, you will definitely need other great ways to use browned butter, because you WILL fall in love with it. Try tossing steamed vegetables, like green beans, with salt, pepper, and browned butter (BEST veggies ever!). Try using it in cookies or frostings in place of regular butter. Or try this Butternut Squash, Browned Butter, and Rosemary Fettucini Alfredo (one of Bowl of Delicious’s most popular recipes!).
Now, go forth and make this 15-minute pasta. And, don’t forget to vote for Bowl of Delicious for the 2015 Bloggies! :-)Print
Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Wilted Greens
This 15 minute pasta dish is drizzled with an earthy, decadent lemon garlic browned butter sauce and mixed with wilted greens, almonds, and parmesan cheese. Simple, elegant, and delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4
- Cook spaghetti according to directions.
- Meanwhile, juice the lemon and mince garlic, so you are ready to add it to the butter immediately after the next step.
- Brown the butter. Melt butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Once it is all melted, turn heat to high and whisk continuously. The butter will begin to foam and will eventually turn a rich, deep brown color (this is the milk solids starting to brown/burn). Careful- don’t brown it too much or it will burn!
- Once the butter has browned, immediately add the garlic and the lemon juice to the butter. The heat of the butter will cook the garlic and the lemon juice will stop the browning process.
- During the last 30 seconds of cooking the spaghetti, add the greens to the pasta water. The water will blanch and wilt the greens.
- Drain spaghetti and greens.
- In a large bowl, mix spaghetti + greens with the browned butter mixture. Add the parmesan cheese, almonds, salt and pepper; toss.