I just made a huge batch of my favorite chicken salad, and as much as I want to make sandwiches out of this Awesome Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts for the rest of the week, I’m not sure it’s going to last as I keep visiting the refrigerator for spoonfuls of it.
It has the PERFECT sweet/salty flavor, with a wonderful crunchy texture and might just be the most perfect chicken salad in the world.
This chicken salad recipe was inspired by a sandwich at Galaxy Cafe in Austin, and includes grapes, celery, and walnuts. It’s simple, and easy to make in bulk on the weekend so you can have sandwiches or lettuce wraps (or spoonfuls) all week. It’s the perfect weekend meal prep recipe.
Sometimes, I substitute sour cream for mayo, like in homemade ranch dressing. For this chicken salad, you can use mayo, sour cream, or a mixture of both.
You will need about 1 pound of cooked chicken. I sometimes grill mine on my cast iron grill by brushing with olive oil and adding salt and pepper to each side. This time, I just used leftover rotisserie chicken from the store. You can use leftover roast chicken, or whatever cooked chicken meat you have.
Here’s a tip: shred the chicken. Don’t chop, shred. I used two forks to do this. When you shred it, there is more surface for the sauce to stick to, and it will stay in your sandwich better without falling out the sides as much. Physics, people.
Add to the bowl 2/3 cup of mayo or sour cream, or 1/3 cup of each. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add some fresh parsley, and mix. Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and mix well.
Quarter some red grapes and slice some celery very thinly. Add them to a large bowl, along with some chopped walnuts and red onions.
Go ahead, try a spoonful. Or 7.
This recipe makes a bulk batch of chicken salad with grapes and walnuts, which is enough for 6-8 sandwiches. Elizabeth-sized sandwiches. I don’t mess around. If you want less, adjust the ingredients accordingly :-)
Recipe below. Enjoy!Print
Awesome Chicken Salad (with grapes and walnuts)
This simple, awesome chicken salad with grapes and walnuts is the perfect meal prep recipe for delicious sandwiches all week. Serve on bread or lettuce wraps for a low carb, paleo option.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- In a large bowl, mix mayo, salt, pepper, and parsley together.
- Add the chicken, grapes, celery, nuts, and red onion. Stir well to combine.
- Serve on sandwiches with toasted bread, on lettuce wraps, or on top of a green salad.
- This recipe makes a lot, which is perfect for meal prep for the week. For a smaller portion, reduce amounts accordingly.
- I do my best to provide accurate nutrition information for my recipes, but I am not a nutritionist. The provided nutrition information is my best estimate. It does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 241 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 23.6 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
Keywords: chicken salad, low carb, paleo, whole30