This is the quickest and healthiest lunch ever, not to mention extremely fresh and delicious. I packed this for Zach and me yesterday and we had it as a snack during 3rd period.
Fact: when you have a teacher’s schedule, you are hungry for lunch by approximately 9:07am.
Another fact: having a raw veggie-based snack or meal can be very satisfying and give you a huge boost of energy when you need it!
It’s so simple- all you do is throw a bunch of hummus and vegetables into a wrap. Well, maybe you shouldn’t throw them. Carefully placing them would be a better idea.
The two simple things that make these wraps extra delicious and satisfying: avocados and a light, simple dressing of olive oil, salt, and pepper. The dressing gives the wrap a great flavor, and both the olive oil and the avocados provide some very healthy fats to the meal to leave you more full than just veggies alone.
They also both help make it less dry than the average veggie wrap.
Start with a whole wheat lavish wrap. Add a generous layer of hummus- any flavor will do! (update 4/13/14: made this with roasted garlic and lemon hummus this past week- amazing!!!!)
Add any combination vegetables you want. I usually add shredded carrots, alfalfa sprouts, greens (this time, I used arugula leftover from the arugula and lime pasta I made the other night), avocado, and julienne-cut cucumbers (deseeded to prevent sogginess).
I imagine these wraps would be really great with some sliced red onion, bell peppers, spinach, or tomatoes as well. Or even some roasted vegetables!
After that, top some olive oil, followed by salt and pepper.
Wrap burrito-style by folding one side of the wrap over the filling, folding the sides in, and folding over again to finish the roll-up.
If you are taking the wrap to go, wrap in paper or aluminum foil (you can put it in a ziplock or tupperware if you want, but it won’t stay wrapped as nicely).
Weekend prep: Shred carrots, cut cucumbers, or slice any other veggies you want to use and keep in the fridge in ziplock bags or containers until you are ready to use.
Versatile Veggie Wraps
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1/2 ripe avocado thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup greens baby spinach, spring mix, baby arugula, etc.
- 1 cup any combination of your favorite veggies sliced, shredded, or cut thinly (such as carrots, sprouts, cucumbers, bell pepper, red onion, or any others)
- Spread hummus in the center of a wrap
- Layer veggies
- Add avocado
- Add olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Wrap burrito-style
- Weekend prep: Shred carrots, cut cucumbers, or slice any other veggies you want to use and keep in the fridge in ziplock bags or containers until you are ready to use.
- The provided nutrition information does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. Feel free to calculate it yourself using this calculator or by adding the recipe to Yummly.
Nutrition Information Disclaimer
The provided nutrition information is my best estimate and does not include any added sodium from seasoning to taste, any optional ingredients, and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information. Feel free to calculate it yourself using one of these tools: